Thursday, January 25, 2007

The media, the Picton trial and us

Even a Wiarton Willie of a human being has probably heard most of the horrible accusations against B.C. pig farmer Robert Pickton. And this is as it should be. A modern liberal democratic society must not only be on guard against criminals and predators but much more needs to be done to understand psychopaths and sociopaths and prevent their atrocities. Perhaps you have encountered strange and disturbed people in your own life, whether socially or at work. Some unfortunates have them in their family - the Unabomber was turned in by his brother when he recognized his opinions and writing style upon its publication in the New York Times by the authorities. We all know they are out there. Read the newspaper, watch TV.

But then there's the Pickton trial. Some thoughtful and concerned people are beginning to question "how much coverage is enough?" And how graphic should it be? I would never describe myself as an ostrich, not even close, I keep well informed on most topics. Sports, entertainment, current events and public policy issues all interest me more than the "average" person. I watch, listen and read material online and in newspapers, magazines quite widely. I love http://www.deadder.net and Daryl Cagle's terrific site at http://cagle.msnbc.com. If you're any kind of pol or cartoon nut I recommend both very highly. I also enjoy many of the better 'apparatchik' or 'hack' insider journalism shows like Glenn Beck, John McLaughlin and others on CTV such as Mike Duffy, Don Newman on CBC Newsworld, you get the idea.

But the scope and detail of the Pickton trial and the enormity and potential duration of the terrible thing is prompting me (and others) to question whether the media is overdoing it. Accusations of sensationalism, exploitation of violence for ratings and readers, it's all been discussed quite widely since the late 1960's or the early 1970's, the advent of media studies and criticism by the public at large. The Internet and blogs have only added voices to the chorus of concern. Do we really need a daily running serialized account or must we be our own editors to preserve our emotional well being? When is enough enough?

There was a cartoon in the Ottawa Citizen January 24 by CAM (Cameron Cardow) wherein a group of commuters waiting for their bus were all in various stages of distress, disgust and even regurgitation, reading newspapers about the hellish Pickton trial. But one gentleman in the frame was not, indeed he was the picture of contentment. Why? In fact he was smiling, whistling even (apparently) because he was effectively managing the situation by letting the trial takes its course and permitting the authorities and the legal system to function as they should.

The bottom line is this disgusting thing is going to (reportedly) take a year to conclude his guilt or innocence and mete out "justice" in terms of a life sentence (with no parole ever) if he is pronounced guilty and to paraphrase the presiding judge "if you're squeamish or sensitive - or even just normal be prepared for awful, awful graphic nightmarish details of Satanic cruelty and carnage."

In other words it's going to be a long nasty nauseating haul so take care, check in when and if you need to but also watch that you don't let yourself be eaten up with the revulsion(s) that this horrific trial will produce. I will keep up with it but certainly not on a daily basis (let's also remember that like the Green River Killer and other serial killings this has already been many years in the unfolding, both in the commission and investigation of the obscenity). I cannot say whether my attentions will be on a weekly basis or even once a month but I will be aware of it. I consider it my civic duty and responsibility but I am not going to suffer.

I am not prepared to take it in like the Watergate hearings or even the Dubin or Liberal Sponsorship Inquiry. Sometimes you just have to let the professionals take over. It's too awful. Far too awful. I don't think I'm being an ostrich. I know what's going on and will follow it cautiously - but as for a 'ticker' detail-intense scrutiny or study of the trial, that's not going to happen. It's like drastic surgery. Somtimes it has to take place but that doesn't mean I want to watch the bloody mess on "The Operation Channel." I know it's happening and the surgeons are in charge. I trust the surgeons.

The good guys are on the case, our justice system is working. I'll let it do its work. May justice come as soon and as mercifully as possible. For the families of the victims and for our beloved Canadian society.

No comments: